Summer is here, and that means parks, pools and all the play you can muster! With so much time spent outdoors, you might want to have a few hair solutions handy, in case of a bad hair day. Here are some tips for stocking your summer toolkit.
- Accessorize. If you’re running the kids from soccer to swimming to piano to gymnastics and everything in between, you might want to pack a couple of hair styling helpers so you don’t have to intervene between each session. Our favorites: a baseball had and/or a fabric headband. Both look adorable in a pinch—a little accessory goes a long way.
- Ward off the green. If your children have light-colored hair, you know all too well the damage a little chlorine can do on their darling strands. First and foremost, wet their hair before they jump in the pool. That way, the hair strands will absorb less chlorine. Next, wash their hair with some kind of clarifying shampoo (talk to your stylist about what’s best for your family). Green looks great on Halloween, but the rest of the year? Not so much.
- Protect your hair (and scalp). You hear about sun damage to skin all of the time, but did you know UVA and UVB rays also damage hair? Sun damage leaves behind dry, brittle wisps, making hair feel almost as though its been bleached. Carry along a ball cap, sun hat and/or umbrella, and try to stay in the shade when possible. If you are in the sun, remember to put sunscreen on the scalp, it burns, too! Also, make regular appointments for trims, so your stylist can help you go out with the old and in with the new.
- Go short and simple. Crewcuts for boys, bobs for girls, what could be easier? An adorable new, low-maintenance cut ensures a happier, easier summer. Not ready for a big change? Grow the hair out enough that it can be swept into a quick ponytail, and keep it out of the face.
- Help them be tangle-free. Hair tangles and summer go hand-in-hand. The onus is on parents to be proactive. If your child has long hair, style it before you leave the house. Braids are a surefire way to keep the tangles at bay!